Thursday, December 8, 2011

Who says salads are boring?



So I've heard people call salads rabbit food.... Maybe I'm weird, but salads have always been one of my favorite things to eat!  I love them.  I usually have 2-3 bowls of salad a day.  I'm lucky enough to work from home, so I can just make my lunch from the fridge, which makes it that much easier - no packing my lunch.  However, I have also heard a lot of people say they get bored with salads.... My answer - spice it up - do something different.... They're probably getting bored because they're not thinking outside the box as far as salad fixins go......  So I have some suggestions and ideas you may want to try to add variety to your salads :)

 *Change up your salad base.... Don't always use IceBerg lettuce.... try romaine, baby or flat leaf spinach, arugula mix - there's lots of different choices - just look in the produce section!
*Change up your dressing.  I tend to be a ranch girl (fat free of course) but I try different dressings.... I now LOVE Kraft Free Caesar Italian..... I also love honey dijon dressing.... There's a ton of variety in the salad dressing aisle - make it a point to try something different!
*Try different veggies... Don't just stick to the same old thing.... Try adding beans, avocado, bell peppers.... Mushrooms always go on my salad because I love them - and they are a great source of potassium....
*Try adding fruit.  Mandarin oranges, dried fruits, and strawberries can all be great additions to some salads.
*Add some protein.  You can add protein and make a meal out of your salad.  Add some baked/grilled chicken (without the skin), steak, or even add an egg!  Hard boiled Eggs chopped up, or even an egg cooked sunny side up - both delicious on a salad!  I love the sunny side up option because the yolk tastes great on the salad!  Also, beans (chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, etc) have protein and can be yummy on salads!   You can also add fish - tuna fish & sardines can be great on salads too!
*Add nuts!  You can buy sliced almonds which are great on salads.  My new personal favorite is pistachios!  They are fantastic on salad.  Be sure to add good nuts - ones that are packed with healthy fat and lots of protein (peanuts to not count as healthy!)
*Hot Sauce!  This is something I started doing a while ago.... I use mexican hot sauce most of the time and it keeps my salads interesting.  Plus hot sauce is really great for ya!  I've also done barbecue sauce - which is great (just use in moderation as it can be high in calories)
*Salsa can be a great topping on a salad - even if it's not a taco salad!  Yep, I'm serious.  Try different varieties of salsa too.  Plus, most of the time it's great for you because it's just veggies -- or you can make your own home made salsa!


No comments:

Post a Comment