Monday, May 14, 2012

Carrot Cake Protein Bars



Carrot cake has got to be one of my most favorite desserts ever.  Seems like it should be good for you, since it's got carrots in it and all!  ;)  Unfortunately it's not and it's something I indulge in only once in a while, on my cheat days or at special occasions. But I found an intriguing recipe online the other day.  Yesterday I got the ingredients and tonight I took a stab at it.  The recipe is from Jamie Eason on BodyBuilding.com.  It's below, with my adjustments.  Nutrition information stayed pretty much the same --- FULL nutrition information for my version is at the end!  My boyfriend even liked them!! 

Calories: 94
Fats: 1.25 grams
Carbs: 10 grams
Protein: 10 grams

Ingredients:

1 cup oat flour  --- I used 3/4 cup 100% wheat flour because I couldn't find oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda-- I used baking powder
1/4 tsp salt-- I used salt substitute
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 egg whites-- this is 8 tbsp liquid egg whites if you have those on hand.
3/4 cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal -- I used only about 7 tsp of truvia -- could get away with 7-8 splenda packets too.
8 oz baby food carrots (4oz jars are $0.50 at walmart - beechnut) 
4 oz water


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix flour, whey protein, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

Mix egg whites, Splenda, baby food carrots and water (optional) in a bowl.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.

Spray glass pyrex dish with non-stick butter spray.

Pour ingredients into dish.

Bake 20-30 minutes. - I ended up baking for about 26 minutes.
Makes 16 squares, 2 squares per serving.  -- I baked in 8x8 dish. Or you could cut into 4 "bars" and it'd still be only 188calories, 20g protein.


94 Calories
1g Fat
12g Carbs (10g NET Carbs)
2g Fiber
10g Protein
126mg Sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment