Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SKINNY Taco Salad!

I adore Mexican food!  But I try not to eat it out because it's usually so unhealthy.  So recently I put together a healthy meatless taco salad!  YUM! I got the idea from Hungry Girl (LOVE HER!)

Take one low carb Tortilla - push it into an ovensafe dish, and bake to crisp up -- because it's in a 'bowl' it will take on the shape of a tortilla bowl!  

Sautee or microwave some meatless soy crumbles (like Morningstar Farms or Boca) - about 1/2 cup.  It doesn't take long.  I also like to add some Emeril's Original Essence, or taco seasoning is fine as well. 

Put that into your taco shell bowl, top with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, fat free sour cream, salsa, reduced fat shredded cheese - whatever you like -- I did mine without the sour cream.  Try to think healthy toppings here!  There are so many different varieties of salsa, or you could make your own!  

You are running about... 
200 Calories
Under 5g Fat
900mg sodium
under 30g Carbs
15.5g Fiber
21g Protein

Compared to Taco Bell's Fiesta Taco Salad
770 Calories
42g Fat
1350mg sodium
74g Carbs
11g Fiber
26g Protein

EAT UP!



No comments:

Post a Comment