Thursday, December 1, 2011

Greek Yogurt Goodness!

I've realized - I'm in love with Greek Yogurt!  I actually ate regular yogurt my whole life, up until this year.  When Greek Yogurt first came out I did not like it.  I don't know if they changed the formula, and it didn't really taste good before..... OR if I like it now because I eat healthy and I can differentiate the good from the bad -- I'm not quite sure....  Whatever it is - I LOVE it!  I eat Greek Yogurt in some way, shape, or form just about every day! 

It is high in protein, low in calories, low in sodium, and pretty low in carbs!  Let's see how it stacks up to 'regular' yogurt....

Yoplait Light - Key Lime Pie                               Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt - Key Lime
100 Calories                                                       160 Calories
0g Fat                                                                 5g Fat
19g Carbs                                                            18g Carbs
5g Protein                                                           11g Protein
85mg Sodium                                                       75mg Sodium

So you know (if you follow a healthy lifestyle) - fat is a necessary part of a healthy lifestyle.  Getting 'fat free' things doesn't always benefit you.  The Greek Yogurt has only 60 more calories, and 5g Fat - BUT it has an additional 6g Protein - which is a huge difference.  It also has 1g less carbs, and 10mg less sodium.   Greek yogurt does come in nonfat varieties as well.... I simply love that it has so much more protein.  I always feel better when I eat a high protein diet....  The protein seems to balance out the carbs much better in the Greek Yogurt than in the regular yogurt (because they are not balanced in the regular yogurt).

I know some people eat regular yogurt for breakfast..... I've done that before, and within an hour I felt drained.... I challenge you to replace your regular yogurt with Greek Yogurt for a week or so....Test out different flavors, and brands, and find what you like.... Greek yogurt doesn't seem to come in the 'decadent' flavors that regular yogurt does now - but it's so rich and creamy I have had Greek Yogurt for dessert before!  Plus, you can alter the flavors yourself.  If you follow my blog, you know I've made Pumpkin greek yogurt - YUM!

Some of my favorites as far as Greek Yogurt go.....
I LOVE Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt -- My favorite is the Key Lime - but the Vanilla is also delicious.... as is the Blueberry, Strawberry, and Raspberry....
Also, Love Chobani Greek Yogurt -- Especially the Pineapple, Pomegranate, and Honey!  So Delish!!

*I'm not bad mouthing regular yogurt -- I'll eat it in a pinch -- that's what my boyfriend eats.... But I feel like the greek yogurt is so much more filling, and much more worth the calories than regular yogurt is......

No comments:

Post a Comment