Sunday, December 4, 2011

Yummy Veggie Snack

Recently I've noticed soooo many people seem to dislike vegetables.  I don't get that.  How can you not like them?  I understand not liking some.... but just disliking a whole food group?  (And without moral reason like I can understand with the whole anti-meat thing).... I don't claim to love all vegetables, but I do like most of them - some more than others....

Lately I've been on a hummus kick - and thought this was the perfect idea for those who aren't fond of veggies on their own... A whole slew of vegetables are delicious with hummus.  There's all different kinds of Hummus....I love the garlic but my boyfriend hates the smell so I've been avoiding that one....But recently we've tried the Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus - YUM - even the boyfriend liked that!  Today I got the Original Hummus tahini -- YUM!  And another I enjoy is the  Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (I didn't used to like this one but my taste buds have changed and now I love it)

I know a lot of people who are willing to eat veggies if they are a)raw and slathered in some sort of dip or dressing (like ranch or something), or b)cooked til all the nutrients are gone, and/or slathered in some cheese sauce.... Hummus is a fantastic alternative to eating your veggies in either of the above forms!  Hummus is made from another vegetable (chickpeas) and is really good for you!

This is a plate piled up with food - for only 200 calories....
I've got roasted red pepper hummus, tahini hummus, cauliflower, green pepper (an entire green pepper sliced up), broccoli, and a couple baby carrots.... This is something easy you can snack on while watching tv and that evening urge to snack hits.... OR you could easily take something along these lines to work to have as a snack while at work (avoid the vending machine!)

200 Calories
8g Fat
28g Carbs
12g Fiber
9g Protein
270mg Sodium


No comments:

Post a Comment