Monday, January 23, 2012

Tempeh Wrap!

I discovered tempeh the other day when I was at Trader Joe's.... (Pardon me if I'm late to the party)  ;)  But for those of you that don't know, it's a vegan product, packed with protein.  I got the 3-grain Tempeh.  This is made from soybeans, organic brown rice, organic barley, & organic millet.  I wasn't quite sure how to use it but I thought I could use it like I have used tofu, and that's how it works!  You can bake it, saute it, grill it, do whatever you want with it - or eat it as it comes straight out of the package.  I made a wrap with it for lunch yesterday and it was quite yummy.  Here's what I did.... 

Ingredients: 
1 high fiber low carb tortilla (I used Ole Extreme Wellness)
1 wedge lite cheese (I used happy farms - you could also use laughing cow)
flat leaf spinach
horseradish mustard
1/3 package tempeh - sliced
1tbsp fat free ranch dressing (for dipping sauce) 
Heat oven to 'broil'... Spread cheese wedge onto tortilla - place tempeh on tortilla in single layer. Lay on baking sheet, and broil for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from oven, and top with spinach & horseradish mustard.  Fold - enjoy.

Nutrition info (including ranch dressing)
274 Calories
11g Fat
35g Carbs
21g Fiber
22g Protein
676mg Sodium

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Never heard of it, but we do like tofu, so I will try it I think. The wrap sounds like a good thing to pack in the kiddos lunch boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, that would be great for the kids to take! So easy - and tasty too!! :) They could add in other veggies if they like too.

      Delete