Monday, February 27, 2012

Cheesy Beefy Mexican Casserole

Yesterday I took some lean beef out of the freezer to cook for dinner but I didn't really have a game plan in mind.  Well I came up with this casserole - and it turned out so delicious!!  It is low in calorie, and it's so good I ate two servings - and didn't feel guilty about it!! ;)  I just made an 8x8 dish of it - and that's what the nutrition information is based on (4 servings) but you could easily make this larger to serve more people.  I topped mine with a little plain non-fat greek yogurt (in place of sour cream).

1/2lb Lean Ground Beef (96/4) ((You could use ground turkey))
1/4 cup frozen yellow corn
1.25 cups zucchini, sliced/quartered
3 medium mushrooms - chopped
1 can diced tomatoes w/green chiles - drained
1/2 cup black beans (I used cooked from dry that I had made but you can also use canned - just be sure to rinse them thoroughly to reduce sodium)
2tbsp enchilada sauce 
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar
1/4 cup salsa (I used black bean & corn salsa)
2 flour tortillas

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray baking dish with non stick cooking spray. 
Brown ground beef - I seasoned mine with cumin & ground red pepper. 
Set aside in a bowl and add 1/2 can diced tomatoes. 
Saute veggies & remaining 1/2 can tomatoes - I also seasoned them with cumin & ground red pepper -- also add enchilada sauce at this point.  
Layer as follows in the baking dish -- salsa, then 1 tortilla, then add the meat/tomatoes, and  1/2 of the cheese - then add another tortilla, then the veggies, and finish off with remaining cheese. 
Bake for 25 minutes
Makes 4 servings.

205 Calories
6g Fat
26g Carbs
5g Fiber
18g Protein 
606mg Sodium
 

No comments:

Post a Comment